School of film & tv
About the school
The School of Film & Television at Falmouth is one of the very best in the UK. We enjoy some of the highest student satisfaction levels of any film school and were one of the first national centres of excellence to be accredited by Skillset.
The School combines the disciplines of film, television, animation and digital games in a powerful, complementary mix of creativity, scholarship and entrepreneurship.
Students learn by doing, but they are continually challenged through theoretical study, research, and critical thinking to ensure that they make original, relevant and contemporary work. The School of Film & Television at Falmouth is about new ways of telling stories and new ways of engaging audiences.
Students are supported by an excellent staff of research scholars and practitioner-academics who are all active in their respective fields, alongside a first-class technical team.
The School offers its students with the opportunity to meet world-class talent through frequent masterclasses, screenings, visiting speaker programmes and our visiting professorships. This means that they are working with some of the best filmmakers, screenwriters, animators, directors, game designers, producers, critics, scholars, programmers and sound designers in the UK and beyond.
Not only does the team engage in national and international research projects and dissemination, but they also support students in building up their own professional network through collaborative projects, live industry briefs, study visits, placements and internships.
Our students do great things – they win prestigious awards, get their work screened at international festivals, and go on to work for the likes of Warp Films, HBO, Twofour, Aardman and Spider Eye.
The School of Film & Television complex is the perfect environment for our students’ individual growth while also creating a buzzing, creative community. We offer access the following facilities and equipment:
- Large TV studio with three studio cameras, full gallery facility, Chromatte grey screen, blue/green screen and full lighting rig
- Centroid 3D (Pinewood Networked) Motion Capture Studio/Research Lab
- 117-seat cinema, with Christie M Series HD projection (as used in Vue cinemas) and 7.2 surround sound, screening from Blu-ray
- 35-seat digital production suite equipped with Apple Macs – Final Draft (screenwriting), Movie Magic (production management and budgeting), and visual and sound editing software, including Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro and X, Avid and Adobe Creative Suite
- Six Avid Unity MediaNetwork edit servers and ten creative labs with edit/sound
- 15 video editing suites equipped with Avid Media Composer, Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro, networked by Avid ISIS shared storage environment
- Industry-standard 3D and 2D animation software and hardware
- Traditional stop motion and 2D animation production areas
- Specialist animation post-production facilities
- Colour grading/online finishing suite featuring DaVinci Resolve
- Five post-production audio suites featuring Avid Pro Tools with access to foley traps
- An equipment store with a range of Blackmagic Cinema, RED and Canon C100 and DSLR cameras, in addition to Panasonic, JVC, GoPro, jibs, tracks & dollies
- Recording studios equipped with Pro Tools audio editing and foley traps
The School of Film & Television course offer includes:
BA(Hons) Film http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/film
BA(Hons) Television http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/television
Film & Television MA http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/film-television-ma
BA(Hons) Animation & Visual Effects http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/animation
BA(Hons) Digital Games http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/games